3.10.2011

How I Love Thee Sweets

If you meet someone that doesn't love themselves a sweet treat here and there, they are clearly in some sort of denial! The problem with sweets though is the guilt most of us feel after we devour them! No one should ever feel guilty for taking pleasure in something. Actually, research has proven that indulging here and there will lead to successful weight loss, and a happier you. I have compiled a list of "healthy" alternatives to satisfy the craving when it comes knocking on your palate! So go ahead, cave in, and don't go crying in the corner that you did so!

Larabars come in a plethora of flavors, my favorite being chocolate chip cookie dough and chocolate chip brownie. They are made of entirely whole ingredients including unsweetened fruits, nuts and spices. Unfortunately, with 11 grams of fat, and 220 calories, they are not exactly diet friendly. However, when you look at the ulterior, they are a much smarter option.
Another one of my favorite bars, LUNA Bar. S'mores is hands down my go-to flavor. It has a layer of chocolate goodness under a layer of graham cracker crunch. I am also partial to Dulce de Leche, which is so sweet, I sometimes have a hard time finishing it! Made with all natural ingredients and packing 9 grams of protein, 3 grams of fiber, and a list of vitamins. LUNA Bars have about 5 grams of fat and 180 calories per bar.



Though made for kids, who is to stop me from eating anything with the words peanut butter, brownie and chocolate chip? I LOVE to heat the chocolate brownie flavor in a bowl and serve it with a bowl of low-fat yogurt. Z Bars are made by Cliff and contain no high fructose corn syrup, no preservatives, no hydrogenated oils. This organic bar contains 3.5 grams of fat, 130 calories and has 12 essential vitamins and minerals.



All of Edy's Slow Churned ice cream flavors are outrageously good! My favorites are Chocolate Fudge Chunk, Cookie Dough, Cookies N Cream and Caramel Delight. This brand is so rich, it is hard to believe that it has 1/2 the fat of regular ice cream and 1/3 fewer calories.


thinkThin bars are an all natural, gluten free and sugar free bar. They are fairly high in fat and calories to be considered a waist-friendly snack, but with such a high protein content, 20 grams, that keeps me satisfied for hours, I use these as a meal replacement. My husband and I love these so much, we buy them by the box! Brownie crunch is divine, as is the white chocolate.



I am not exaggerating when I say this, but I had a Nutella sandwich at school every single day until I was 16! I mean EVERY DAY! The combination of things you can spread this hazelnut spread on are endless! My favorite is a graham cracker with a toasted marshmallow on top! Other healthy ideas is a slice of whole grain toast with bananas, a whole grain tortilla shell or simply dipped strawberries. There is actually an entire site dedicated to recipes featuring Nutella. Visit it by clicking here. You do have to be careful, as Nutella, when compared to peanut butter, is not the healthiest option. It has 7 times more sugar than peanut butter and no where near as much protein. This is certainly an indulgence, just be smart about what you pair this delectable spread with!

Until next time guys....cheers and happy eating!


1 comment:

Averill said...

Oh Nutella...how I love thee. Had it for the first time in h/s when I spent a few weeks in Denmark. The Danes eat it on French bread for breakfast. So fabulous.