3.16.2011

Beet It


Yeah, I was totally singing a Michael Jackson song when I typed the title, but that is only because of my excitement to convert all you beet-haters into beet-lovers. For the past 29 years I have shunned away this magenta vegetable, but recently I had a "F*** it!" moment and decided it was high time I gave it another try. The truth is, I had never even tasted a beet, yet somehow was totally convinced it was the grossest thing on Earth. CRAZY! Apparently, I am not alone, as my husband is in the same boat. What is it about beets that turns so many people off? Sure, at the store it looks a little sad, but once you peel away the dirty looking layer a beautiful gift appears. A smooth, skin-staining, vibrant purple veggie that is crying for you to try him out. So have a Nike moment, and "Just Do It!" Give the beet a chance!

And for your listening pleasure, a band close to my heart, introduced to me by my hubby nine years ago when we first met. The Stars have produced countless amazing albums, yet have maintained a low-key status which gives even more integrity to the substance of their music!



Till next time! Cheers and happy eating.

Roasted Beets

1/4 cup of balsamic vinegar
1 ounce of olive oil
1 1/2 TB of honey
1 tspn of agave (optional)
3 large beets*

*Beets will stain your skin! Wear gloves if possible! If you don't have gloves, I sometime use plastic grocery bags.

Preheat oven to 400 degrees Fahrenheit.

Combine the first 4 ingredients and whisk.

Trim both ends of the beets and peel away the dark, rough skin. Place in a small, glass, oven-proof container. Coat with dressing and bake in oven for 20-30 minutes. Make sure to stir often! Use a fork to check if the beets are tender. Serve over your favorite salad and enjoy!





1 comment:

Averill said...

This French restaurant in Sugar Land has a goat cheese and beet salad -- I LOVE IT. I swear I hated beets until I had it...now I'm a believer! Will have to try roasting them myself (and maybe adding that goat cheese!).