11.07.2010

Sky High Pancakes




Haiku for Pancakes
Fluffy and yummy
Childhood memories in mind
Each bite a delight

Seriously, what is there not to like about perfectly fluffy pancakes topped with an ooze of maple syrup? Now, the crucial word here is FLUFFY. I have had disastrous experiences with pancakes, and it is not an understatement for me to say that it has taken years for me to find the perfect combination of flour, sugar, and baking powder to pull off these fluffy babies.

Big tips to keep in mind:
-Sift! I use to think sifting was just an unnecessary step, but it is crucial to getting the right consistency.
-Don't over-mix. Mixing too much will cause the pancakes to be rubbery rather than fluffy.
-Make sure to use a non-stick pan that is hot! I usually put it on the stove while I am preparing the batter.
-Once I am done mixing, I like to pour the batter into a measuring cup for easy pouring.


Before we get to the recipe, I wanted to leave you with a song to listen to as you read it. This song is my new obsession, and I hope to play it on the guitar some day soon. Till next time, cheers and happy eating!



Perfectly, Fluffy, Pancakes

3/4 cup of all-purpose flour
3/4 cup of whole wheat flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
2 tablespoons white sugar
1 1/4 cups milk (might need to add more if the batter is dense)
1 egg
4 tablespoons butter, melted

In a large bowl, sift together the flour, baking powder, salt and sugar. Make a well in the middle and pour in the milk, egg and melted butter; mix until you reach a smooth consistency. Be careful to avoid over-mixing.

Heat a non-stick frying pan over medium heat. Pour or scoop batter onto the pan. Brown on both sides and serve.

No comments: