8.03.2010

Voyage to Israel: Bourekas




Bourekas take me back to my childhood days of swimming in Safta's pool, running through sand dunes, and catching lightening bugs in my backyard in Isreal. That's what I love so much about food. It transports you to another place in time.

Taking a bite out of salad dressed in Green Goddess dressing vividly remind me of my first camping trip with Micah, where we listened to jam band music and jumped from rope swings into the Black River in northern Florida. Sipping tortilla soup reminds me of my good friend Becky and the summer she spent with us in our house; days spent mostly cooking and drinking and laughing. Oddly, anytime I eat bruschetta I think of a road trip through Mexico that ended disastrously at the U.S. border, leading us to get a meal at an Italian joint before having to "break in" to Mexico to get back in to the United States.

These delectable pastries can be filled with anything you like. I had Gruyere cheese in the fridge, but I have to say, it had an assertive taste. Milder cheeses are a much better alternative. My ultimate favorite filling is mashed potatoes! I mean, seriously, no one can have too much carbohydrates! I have included recipes for a few different fillings, so go to town, and try them all!


Israeli Bourekas

1 sheet of puff pastry
melted butter
filling of your choice (recipe below)
1 egg yolk mixed with 1 tablespoon of vegetable oil

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Lightly flour your workspace. Carefully lay the sheet of puff pastry down and use your fingers to flatten. Using a sharp knife, cut the dough into 9 squares. Brush melted butter on each square before adding filling. After one tablespoon of your chosen filling has been added fold each square over to form triangles, using your fingers to press shut. Brush with egg yolk and oil mixture. Place on a lined baking sheet and bake for 15-18 minutes, until pastries have puffed up and are golden brown.

Cheese filling:

1 cup of mild cheese (such as mozzarella, mild cheddar, feta)

1 egg
salt
pepper

Combine all ingredients in a bowl and mix.

Potato filling:

(You can use your favorite store bought mashed potatoes...but add the onions!)

1/4 cup of onion (chopped)
1-2 baking potatoes
2 Tablespoons of butter
1 Tablespoon of sour cream or milk (optional)
salt
pepper
tumeric (optional)

Saute onion in oil until softened.

Cut the potatoes in squares and boil in water until softened. Mash potatoes with the butter, sour cream, salt, pepper and a sprinkle of tumeric.

Add the onions and combine.

Spinach filling:

1/2 cup of cooked spinach
1/4 cup feta cheese
salt
pepper

Combine all ingredients in a bowl and mix.




3 comments:

Jody Harrington said...

Dani,
Looks great--gotta try it. You used puff pastry in the video but your recipe says phyllo pastry. I would think puff pastry would be easier because you don't have to oil/butter each sheet and then layer them.

Daniela said...

Thanks for noticing! I changed it in the recipe. It is suppose to be puff pastry.

Rebeckyruth said...

I had these last night and never knew they had a fancy name...There you go again, educating the masses. I like to make mine with a little almond paste, a small spoonful of blueberry jelly, and some fresh blueberries. Perfect for dessert and the leftovers for breakfast!